Wednesday, January 7, 2015

As I have had a busy last few days, lunches and dinners with friends, debating and then deciding to leave my church, driving through a snow storm and then having an awkward evening with my ex I can barely look at, I was reminded of my past.
A student at U-High and aspiring olympian took his own life.  He was successful, outgoing, kind, and all around a good friend to many I have known my whole life.  Although I never had the privilege to meet him his passing has affected me.  It has made me mourn for those that loved him and knew him but also realize that depression affects everyone. I have been suffering from my depression for six years and at moments I wanted it all to end but because of some people in my life, who don't even know helped me, I have gotten through those thoughts several times.  How do we help those that we don't know need help?  No one knew about the man who just passed this week.  He was outgoing and seemed to loved life but on the inside he was tearing himself apart.
After receiving the first snow fall of the year I let my dog out the next morning and saw the beauty that is untouched snow.  People think I'm crazy because I will always want to live where there is snow but I believe nature is where God's beauty really shines.  The day after our family friend died there was a rainbow in the sky for his wife.  At his funeral it was freezing cold and we all agreed the wind picked up while the family was taking their shots because he wanted one too. The day after the student at U-High died we had one of the most beautiful sunsets I can remember.  A wonderful life was taken from us but God has strange ways of working.  The aspiring olympian gave us that sunset, whether it was just because or he wanted to show us that in dark times we should always look at what is beautiful in our lives.
I have a great family, loyal and loving friends in Kourtney, Emily and all those youth at my church, amazing mentors in people like Steve, Linda, and my teachers from high school, and I have the best second families new and old, the Barrons, Hubers, and Gibsons.  Life can be short.  So live it with who you love.  Do what you want.  And always take a moment to look at what is truly beautiful. You have enough time to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment