Wednesday, February 11, 2015

As the news of Obama wanting to send more troops to the middle east soon to fight ISIS hit me at the heart, not only knowing this may affect Kyle but also my cousin who is in the Navy, my heart sank more when I found out my grandpa, my best friend, was admitted to the hospital today.  He was diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer this August.  Doctors normally do not give chemo to a man of 80 years but my grandpa's health and strength allowed him to get the treatment.  I found out the day I moved in he had cancer again.  I saw the effects of the treatment over fall break as he fell walking to the car after my brother's football game.  I saw further effects Thanksgiving when the burly, strong, protective man I will always remember him as, was nothing but skin and bones.  The first time I saw him like this was when he went through chemo the first time.  I was 8 and had nightmares for months after he was all better.  I hate seeing the man I adore and see as my hero so weak and helpless.  I hate it too because he does.  He has been done with chemo for two months and although we know he will have cancer till he passes we jumped for joy as the large tumor on his pancreas decreased and many of the small ones were gone.  His life was extended, for how long we don't know, but we at least got more then two weeks with him.  Him and my grandma headed to Florida and he has been slowly getting better.  Until today.  He has a block in his liver and he will need surgery.  He is weak and malnourished due to the fact he can't eat.   My grandma is very positive and believes he will be ok after the surgery Friday.  She is a saint. My grandpa told me today that she has been his rock and has been the best thing through all of this, just for him.  My gramps is tired but he is the strongest man I know.  Always going the extra mile for my brother and I and being the positive force I need to get me through anything.  He doesn't know about my depression but he seems to get it.  He is one of the few people I can say truly gets me.  He is forever my best friend and although it is rough to talk to him during this without showing him I am upset I am more then blessed to have been able to talk to him today and I will count every day as a blessing when I do get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment