Monday, June 29, 2015

So I'm back but this blog is kinda changing in direction. Life decisions change our perspective in life and my decision to become a member of the Army National Guard definitely has changed a lot.  I have an amazing recruiter here in Normal and she gave me a book called Mind Gym by Gary Mack and David Casstevens. I've decided to read a chapter a day, along with my bible, just as a reflection everyday.  As I have been reading though I have found lots of things in this book that could be helpful not only to myself but others looking to put more of a mental edge to their daily lives.  This could make you want to read the book or, for many of my friends who don't like reading, make you come back and read my blog!  After Mind Games I'm not quite sure what to read so if anyone has any suggestions you know how to reach me, but I would like to continue this until I leave in November.  So hope you guys enjoy!  If not....well too bad :)

Mind Games: Responsibility Psychology
"What has benefited me the most is learning I can't control what happens outside of my pitching"
-Greg Maddux
"My message is simple: take control of your life"
-Charles Barkley

This chapter was all about knowing what you can and can't control.  At basic I'll be able to control how I perform but not the other people in my company.  I want us all to succeed but that isn't going to be the case.  Along with this we all have the RESPONSIBILITY to shape our life the way we want it to be.  For those that played softball or baseball you can't blame the pitcher or the fielders for the loss.  Its a team effort but you can take responsibility for how YOU performed and no one else.  Mack says "Successful people take responsibility for themselves and their game." But this responsibility isn't in the actions you did during a play but more how you react to the situation.  Do you shut down when you aren't performing as well as you would like or are you going to push through it and tell yourself you will do better.  The mental game is huge while playing sports but we can use this mentality in daily life.  Are you going to half ass your job because you haven't had a good day or are you going to give all you can because your job means something to someone.  Are you going to let yourself get into a sucky relationship again or are you going wait for something better and be ok with that.  We make decisions in life we have to take responsibility for because our decisions and how we react effects us our whole lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment